"Daffodils" by William Wordsworth

 Daffodils Poem 

by William Wordsworth 
The rhyme scheme of the poem ABABDD in all stanzas

I wandered lonely as a cloud                      
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,     B
 When all at once I saw a crowd,               A
 A host, of golden daffodils;                      B
 Beside the lake, beneath the trees,           D
 Fluttering and dancing in the breeze        D


Continuous as the stars that shine           A
 And twinkle on the Milky Way,             B
They stretched in never-ending line        A
 Along the margin of a bay:                     B
 Ten thousand saw I at a glance,              D
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.   D

 
The waves beside them danced, but they    A
Our-did the sparkling waves in glee:          B
A poet could not be but gay,                       A
 In such a jocund company:                        B
 I gazed–and gazed– but little thought        D
What wealth the show to me had brought:  D


For oft, when on my couch I lie              A
 In vacant or In pensive mood,                B
 They flash upon the inward eye             A
Which is the bliss of solitude;                 B
 And then my heart with pleasure fills,   D
And dances with the daffodils.               D

 
Daffodils Poem 

by William Wordsworth 

Paraphrasing all Stanzas

Stanza 1: 

I wandered lonely as a cloud 
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
 When all at once I saw a crowd,
 A host, of golden daffodils;
 Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
 Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

 Paraphrasing:

I strolled all alone just like a cloud that floats over the valleys and hills. Suddenly, I saw countless golden daffodils growing beside a lake under a tree moving and dancing happily in the breeze

Stanza 2: 

Continuous as the stars that shine
 And twinkle on the Milky Way, 
They stretched in never-ending line
 Along the margin of a bay:
 Ten thousand saw I at a glance, 
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. 

Paraphrasing:

 The daffodils were countless as stars which shine on the Milky Way and they were growing along the lake in an endless line. I nearly saw ten thousand daffodils moving their heads in a happy/ joyful dance


Stanza 3:
 
The waves beside them danced, but they 
Our-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not be but gay,
 In such a jocund company:
 I gazed–and gazed– but little thought 
What wealth the show to me had brought:

 Paraphrasing:

 The waves of the lake were also dancing happily but the dance of the daffodils was far more superior to the dance of the waves. I feel happy in the joyous company of daffodils and keep on seeing the golden flowers. This sight as brought me a great wealth


Stanza 4: 

For oft, when on my couch I lie
 In vacant or In pensive mood,
 They flash upon the inward eye 
Which is the bliss of solitude;
 And then my heart with pleasure fills, 
And dances with the daffodils.

 Paraphrasing:

 The poet says that whenever he lies on his bed in a gloomy mood or to take rest, the reflection of the beautiful daffodils comes to his mind. I feel happy and my heart begins to dance with the daffodils. The sight of the daffodils is a blessing and a permanent source of pleasure for me.


Popular posts from this blog

Conditional Sentences

Zero Conditionals Sentences

The Poem BY EMILY DICKINSON